- 1 pound of all-natural sausage
- 5 slices of nitrate-free bacon
- 1/2 cup of diced peppers (I used bell, but any kind will work, depending on the flavor profile you like)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 8 oz block of cream cheese (substitute 8 oz of coconut cream to make paleo)
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese (omit if paleo)
- 1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- top with parsley
- In a skillet, add the sausage and break it up with a spatula. Then, put the cream cheese (or coconut cream) with it, and cook until it is no longer pink and the cream has combined with the sausage (It will be harder with the cream cheese, so remember to stir it and try to break up the block as it cooks.
- Once the sausage is done cooking, cut up bacon and cook it until it is done to your liking.
- Then, in the same pan, sautee the onions and peppers until soft.
- Finally, add the sausage, bacon, onions, and peppers to a slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients (except the parmesan cheese and parsley). Allow the soup to cook on low for a couple of hours to allow the flavors to blend.
- Once the soup is done, you can top with parmesan cheese and parsley.
This is a great soup to make for meal-prep because it is simple, and it gets more flavor the longer it sits. You can play around with the spices if you want to try some different tastes, and you can add or take away ingredients to make it fit your dietary needs. I was excited to try this recipe, and I am very glad I did; it was a big hit with my family!