Trying to find new breakfast ideas, while sticking to dietary restrictions and simplicity, can be hard. However, I came across a recipe for cinnamon rolls that, with a few tweaks, was paleo-friendly, gluten-free, easy, and delicious. The below recipe was better than I expected and I will definitely make it again.
Protein Cinnamon Rolls
Ingredients for dough:
- 2 cups Almond flour
- 2 scoops vanilla protein powder (make sure it is paleo-friendly)
- 1 ¼ tsp baking powder (make sure it is paleo-friendly)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 4 tsp of honey or maple syrup
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp of vanilla
Ingredients for filling:
- ¼ cup maple syrup or honey
- ¼ tsp of cinnamon
Ingredients for icing:
- 1 oz of coconut cream
- ½ scoop of vanilla protein powder
- Unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk to desired consistency of icing
- Dash of vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients for the dough and stir them up. Then add in the wet ingredients while continuing to stir. The mixture will be crumbly and you should knead the dough until it is stiff.
- Once the dough is stiff enough, you need to roll it out into a rectangle. I did this on parchment paper, but you can do it on a floured surface as well.
- Once the dough is rolled out, mix together the ingredients for the filling in a bowl and then spread it over the dough evenly.
- After it is spread over the dough, begin to roll the dough into a long tube. Once that is done, cut the tube into 16 slices and place them into a greased dish evenly spaced. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the rolls are no longer doughy.
- While the rolls are baking, mix together the ingredients for the icing. Once the rolls are done baking, let them cool and then drizzle with icing and enjoy!
As with most recipes I recommend, this one can be changed to make it fit your dietary needs and tastes. You can make this vegan-friendly by swapping out the egg with a flax egg and using maple syrup instead of honey. Also, if you want to change the flavor, you could add nuts, raisins, or a different flavor of protein powder. There are many things you can do with this recipe and with the above ingredients, you are getting not only a sweet treat but also a protein-filled cinnamon roll that will leave you full and satisfied.