This has been a long week for me and I was looking for a recipe that would be quick and easy and I could prep ahead. For me, casseroles are perfect for this. I decided to try a new casserole and it is something I never even thought could be made into a casserole, tacos. The below recipe is paleo and whole 30 friendly and full of flavor. I am happy to try new things, especially when they taste this good!
- 1 pound ground beef (or turkey or chicken)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 large bell peppers, diced (I actually used a bag of frozen onion and pepper mix, thawed, because I was in a hurry)
- 3 packed cups spinach, roughly chopped (I actually used a bag of frozen spinach, thawed, because I was in a hurry)
- 4 cups sweet potato noodles
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning, divided (paleo friendly, no sugar added or you can mix your own with this recipe: taco seasoning)
- 1 1/4 cup salsa, divided (paleo friendly, no sugar is added or make your own with this recipe: salsa)
- 1/2 cup mayo (make sure it is whole 30 compliant or you can make this recipe: mayo)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a large baking dish.
- In a large pan, add beef (or whatever meat you choose) and cook for 3-4 minutes until slightly browned. Add onion and 1/2 tablespoon taco seasoning and sauté for 2 more minutes. Add peppers, spinach, remaining taco seasoning and salt and pepper and cook for 2-3 more minutes (I added the peppers and onions at the same time since mine were in a bag mixed together).
- Remove from heat and mix in sweet potato noodles and cherry tomatoes. Transfer mixture to the baking dish, but drain the grease first.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 cup salsa and mayo. Pour over sweet potato and beef mixture, making sure it covers evenly. Use a fork to make sure it is spread throughout the casserole.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until firm and crispy on top. Let rest for 5 minutes to firm up some more and then enjoy! You can add additional toppings you might like on your tacos, such as avocado, more salsa, jalapenos, etc. Just make sure whatever you add is paleo and whole 30 friendly to keep it compliant.